26 Jan 2015

Experiences with terracotta clay

Hello everyone!

I don't know if it happens to everyone or just me, but now it has become boring to work with beads and wires only. No doubt I keep on buying beads wherever I find, on roads, at Indian temples, tourist places, beaches etc.. Like a hippie I keep on buying beads and don't miss a chance to wear them. But today it's about clay :)


I went to this place called Kumbharwada in my hometown to buy some pots and secondhand pliers. The place is famous for clay products and secondhand goods from the ship breaking business. Looking at nicely crafted pots and show pieces, I thought of purchasing the same clay to make jewelry. I brought 1 kg of dry clay and started surfing the net for some inspiration. After reading, I realized it might be a problem to work with this clay, specially the one I bought, as it was dry. I had no idea of the moisture content or water it requires to shape. But no more confusions, eBay is there for all of your needs. I never thought I would get the Indian Mitti on eBay. I ordered terracotta clay from eBay, received wet, properly moisturized brown terracotta supplied by a dealer in Southern India. Of course it cost me way more than the local place, I was super excited about making new form of jewelry form it.

Most of my friends know that my sister is muse for me. She inspires to experiment everything starting from paper crafts to metal clay. Most of the times I collect the materials and wait for her to come home whenever I think about creating something new.



I received the clay at evening and we started searching immediately for some basic shapes mold. Here, you see, the very first terracotta pendents and earrings,




It was super easy to work with it, as the clay was already filtered and with necessary moisture. Using a fine cutter, we made some design on round shapes and fixed hooks when the clay was wet. Kept it for drying in natural air on my terrace.





And, here are the pieces, the pendents and earrings, almost dried waiting for getting baked. I must say, they smell wonderful. They still have that lovely smell of earth, so I don't even feel like painting them. Now I need some charcoal for baking.

Stay tuned for more shapes and designs!

Cheers!
Prakruti

No comments:

Post a Comment